The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network

Register or Log In To remove these advertisements.

Go Back   The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network > 47 - Current classic GM Trucks > The 1967 - 1972 Chevrolet & GMC Pickups Message Board

Web 67-72chevytrucks.com

Prev Previous Post   Next Post Next
Old 04-26-2007, 01:02 AM   #1
Rat72

BB Harmonic Balancer Timing Pointer Issues

I've been strugling with a bunch of issues. The 454 that came in my truck had a flat cam lobe which obviously caused lots of issues. The other issue I had when it ran was that the timing would not let the motor even run until I got it to 16 degrees. So I installed a new cam and when I brought the motor up to TDC, the timing mark on the balancer points at .... 16 degrees. I've not done this before but I assume it should point at 0 (TDC).

So, are there different balancers for the different years of 454? The balancer I have looks like the original one and looking from the front, the timing channel (line) is about 8 degrees counterclockwise from the keyway.

Are there different pointers for the different years? The pointer I have is a cheesy chrome aftermarket unit and 0 degrees is very close to where the timing cover raises out to clear the gears.

Or am I just mistaken regarding the timing pinter lining up with the balance line at TDC?

Any feedback would be appreciated.

Thanks,
Whit
Rat72 is offline   Reply With Quote