The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network

Register or Log In To remove these advertisements.

Go Back   The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network > 47 - Current classic GM Trucks > The 1967 - 1972 Chevrolet & GMC Pickups Message Board

Web 67-72chevytrucks.com

Prev Previous Post   Next Post Next
Old 05-02-2007, 07:38 PM   #1
Slammed70

A death in the family....

My truck finally died. Ive been waiting for it to happen for the longest time. About a year ago it started knocking/smoking. Ive just been masking it with 50wt oil.

Well I was running late for work today, so I had to be a little mean to my truck to make it there in time. I had the 100mph speedo buried, and was rapping about 4800-5000 on the tach.

Then I heard a loud boom...clack-clack-clack....thud...splat.

Atfirst I thought I just hit a dog or a small child or something....I didnt care because I didnt have time to stop. When I slowed down at the stop sign all I saw was smoke barreling out of the hood and smothered the headlights. So I turned down Mudvayne and heard it knocking....LOUD. A quick glace at the guages made everything appear to be normal. Work was less than a mile away and I chanced it. I made it to work just a few minutes late. After entering the parking lot all I could smell/see was smoke. I threw it in neutral, killed it and coasted into the parking spot.

Only costed a case of beer and a few dollars worth of gas and one of my buddies got it home. Popping the hood was kind of suprising at first. Oil blanketed the passenger side of the engine compartment, everything else had oil spots on it. Im gonna drain the oil this weekend to look for chunks of motor or whatever I can find.

Mitch-