The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network

Register or Log In To remove these advertisements.

Go Back   The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network > 47 - Current classic GM Trucks > The 1967 - 1972 Chevrolet & GMC Pickups Message Board

Web 67-72chevytrucks.com

Prev Previous Post   Next Post Next
Old 05-25-2007, 04:40 AM   #1
guf

electrical problems

yesterday i went to pick up my truck from having new brakes, some hoses, tune up done. I paid way more than i wanted to but felt like it was a good place to start to get a few things "professionaly" done. i drive away like 3 blocks and as i struggled to get it into gear i heard a slight popping noise and smelled smoke, the truck stopped. i knew it was some kind of wiring problem because the truck would not turn over and smelt like burning wires.
the shop then told me there was major wiring issues and the was no fusible link near the battery and caused some kind of short. i know there is a rats nest under the dash and random wires all over the truck the PO was such a hack. I expected there to be problems. but i gave them a running truck and spent money and time away and they give me a non running truck back. i'm so frustrated and explained it to them calmly that i just want the truck at my house.
they did get it running again and i can get it tomorrow.
so my question is should i go ahead and get a new harness rewire the whole truck to help avoid more electrical problems? but i am just starting this project, should that be done after bodywork is done and engine stuff done? will i be wasting time because i"ll have to do it all again when i paint. i wanted it to be a drivable restoration but have another car if needed. does someone have a step by step order of operations suggestion plan? ideas?
thanks
guf is offline   Reply With Quote