The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network

Register or Log In To remove these advertisements.

Go Back   The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network > 47 - Current classic GM Trucks > The 1967 - 1972 Chevrolet & GMC Pickups Message Board

Web 67-72chevytrucks.com

Prev Previous Post   Next Post Next
Old 05-25-2007, 08:09 AM   #1
mrein3

Headlight Relays

I did the headlight relay upgrade. However I'm having trouble when it is wet outside.

When it rains, and I'm running with the headlights on (required in MN), I have the low beams selected but the high beam relay "flickers" on and off.

This happened again Wednesday. This happened previously so I moved where I put the relays. The problem went away for a while but when I found myself diving in the rain Wednesday it started happening again.

Back home in the shop they continued to flicker until I pulled the 12V wire from the battery to the high beam relay.

I'm pretty sure the water is getting in the relay which is energizing the relay and with the lows on, the highs kick on and off.

So I have two questions:
1. Has anybody else experienced this with the relay upgrade?
2. What is the fix? Is there a better, more weather proof relay out there that I could purchase?

The relays I'm using are out of a bubble pack that I picked up at Checkers. They don't look very weather proof.
Center City, MN
mrein3 is offline   Reply With Quote