The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network

Register or Log In To remove these advertisements.

Go Back   The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network > 47 - Current classic GM Trucks > The 1967 - 1972 Chevrolet & GMC Pickups Message Board

Web 67-72chevytrucks.com

Prev Previous Post   Next Post Next
Old 05-28-2007, 11:52 PM   #1
Americanrider

What did you get done this weekend?

I spent my 2 days working off a few odds & ends on my 67 K-20.

After I pulled the hood the first to go was the leaking brake booster, replaced with another from a part-out truck, tested at 25lbs of Vacuum and held it for 15 minutes... no more sinking brake pedal while stopped.

Next out was the points dizzy that was worn out. I installed a HEI I pulled from a 79 Chev PU I parted last year. Following board advice I went with 78 Vette Plug wires to reach around the ramhorns. I was a tight fit but I didn't have to beat anything up, just moved the stock oil pressure line out of the way. I made a tool from a steel rod to turn the oil pump shaft by feel since you cant see into the hole. (It's a 4x4 and the motor is all the way back) It took a few tries to find the right tooth. The hold down clamp was busted so I found a new one in my junk bin. It sure woke up that 283 Sounds like a new motor now. Gapped the plugs at 45 and timed at 10 degrees. Idle is 550-600 and smooth.

Next I pulled the valve covers off and the 40 year old cork gaskets came apart like old toast. Replaced with new rubber ones.

I dug out a mini tach I paid 5 bucks for at a swap meet, wired it up and it works. Just need to figure out where to hook in the light wire to the stock harness. Installed a E-brake cover I bought from Bob Moore and it looks nice.

Last touch was to plug in a 71 ignition to my new bezel I got from WES, now I have the Acc. postion but only one key Not showy but just a touch up to a truck that hauls my firewood and scrap metal.... and anything else I can load in there. Lastly I replaced a worn hood hinge and lubed up both before installing the hood and going to dinner. I feel better about getting a bunch of little things finished. May just drive it to work tomorrow and see how see runs on the freeway. Hope you had a good weekend,

Thank you Vets
BE AMERICAN - BUY AMERICAN - DRIVE AMERICAN
Attached Images

Last edited by Americanrider; 05-28-2007 at 11:53 PM.
Americanrider is offline   Reply With Quote