The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network

Register or Log In To remove these advertisements.

Go Back   The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network > General Truck Forums > All 4x4 Tech & Off Roading

Web 67-72chevytrucks.com

Prev Previous Post   Next Post Next
Old 06-08-2007, 08:32 PM   #1
hgs_notes
GEARHEAD

Driveline compatability issues

I am working on a first gen Jimmy without most of the driveline. Just has axles, thats it. I've been searching for transfer cases/tranny combos and I'm getting confused with the options available.

For instance, the NP205 that came in these trucks was also available several years later on other vehicles, including Fords and Dodges. Do they work with the right adapter, or are they set up different, like front output on wrong side, different spline count, etc?

There are figure 8 and round bolt pattern NP205's, whats the difference and will either one work?

I have read that there is a kit available to convert an NP203 to part time, anyone know where they are available? Is it even worth the trouble? Frankly, I don't really understand the full time/part time thing. Can't the full time transfercase be shifted to 2 high? I have lock out hubs, wouldn't that take it out of 4wd?

What is a divorced transfer case and would that work?

If I get a 73 and newer tranny, transfer case (NP203) and adapter, it will bolt right in, I think. But what will happen with the driveshafts? Would I need the original 72 version, the 73+ version, or some custom built driveshafts?

What are the differences in driveshafts between the first and second generation of blazers, other than length anyway? Is it something to do with slip yokes? Which vehicles have slip yokes and do I want them?

I don't have drive shafts now, but I don't want to get the wrong parts and end up spending more to make them work, than if I had just found the "correct" pieces to begin with.

The problem with getting parts, is that the first thing the junk yards do is pull the driveline out, so finding it all together is difficult. And the simple fact of the matter is that 2nd gen parts are just way easier to find and much cheaper.

I know this is a lot of questions, and not everybody has all the answers, but I need what ever help I can get.
hgs_notes is offline   Reply With Quote