The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network

Register or Log In To remove these advertisements.

Go Back   The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network > 47 - Current classic GM Trucks > The 1969 - 1972 Blazers and Jimmys Message Board

Web 67-72chevytrucks.com

Prev Previous Post   Next Post Next
Old 06-21-2007, 07:05 AM   #1
Thealien

Buyers remorse!!

About ten years ago I owned a 1972 GMC Jimmy and loved that truck but eventually sold it. I had been looking for a 1972 Blazer/Jimmy for quite a while. They were either too far away, rusty, or too expensive. I recently found a local 1972 GMC Jimmy that has been owned by the same guy for 16 years. It appeared to be rust free (After buying I found a little rot on the passenger fllor/kick panel) It is originally an AC (everything there not working, controls move and all the vacuum actuators appear functional)and posi rear end. It is my fault I missed some things on this truck but I am feeling buyers remorse. I just wanted a convertible truck to enjoy in the summer. I expected to do a full tune up and change all fluids. Upon closer inspection I have found.........

The passenger floor/kick panel rot.

Overcharge condition (not running battery puts out 17.5 volts)

Truck has been hit and front fenders grill and radiator support all need to be aligned/adjusted to fit right. (noticed before buying but it is worse than originally thought)

Flex plate missing teeth

U bolts loose on rear axle

Needs tie rod end

Wrong 1971 door panels in a 1972 (new this when buying)

Front driveshaft needs rebuilding.

Leaking out of transfer case. (new this when buying)

Now I find a kink in the frame, not too bad could be from accident or someone using a tow cable attached to frame to pull it??

I paid $9500 (knowing GMC's are worth a little more)

I don't have a garage so until it is running right and I can drive it and work on some of the interior and alignment issues. I'll have to pay my mechanic to fix a few things I want him to take care of a full tune up, change all fluids, and fix the leaks. I guess I'll have him do the flex plate also.

So did I pay too much?

Here are a couple of pictures. You can see the unrestored bottom edge of the doors, I was surprised to find the floor rot, the rest of the body looked great except for the alignment issues.
Attached Images

Thealien is offline   Reply With Quote