The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network

Register or Log In To remove these advertisements.

Go Back   The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network > General Truck Forums > Suspension

Web 67-72chevytrucks.com

Prev Previous Post   Next Post Next
Old 07-17-2007, 10:36 PM   #1
SCOTI

About to throw in the towel.....

My 74 has kicked my arse. I'm done, whooped, beaten.... you name it.

I had a bad wheel cyl out back (pass side) & lost enough fluid to pull air into the system. This happened a few weeks back so I had to 'temp' it & fill it back up w/fluid to get me by until I had enough time to have it down for a day or two. I was off last week for my trip to Ohio so I did some maint:

I replaced the wheel cyl's out back.
Installed new shoes out back.
Cleaned the drums & re-installed them.
I replaced the front pads & turned the rotors.
I replaced the master cyl & pwr booster (only remaining items that weren't replaced/refurbished when I purchased the truck).

We start bleeding the brakes but something isn't right. I'm not getting 'enough' pressure to the rears. The front L bleeder shoots fluid like you would expect a hydraulic system to when pressurized.

NONE OF THE OTHER BLEEDERS HAVE SIMILAR PRESSURE. We think the R front bleeder is compromised because it gets good fluid flow when completely removed. So a bad bleeder makes sense here.....

The rears just don't do much of anything. I can pressurize the pedal & fluid will barely trickle out of the rear bleeder/s. We thought maybe the master didn't bench bleed enough so we did it more. We hooked up a test line to the port & get decent flow when the pedal is pushed. We hooked the rear lines back up & there's no improvement @ the bleeder/s.

We thought the prop valve was the issue. We tried cracking the lines to it.
No improvement.
We tried the whole 'resetting' thing but couldn't get the 'pin' to shift in or out any measureable amount.
No improvement.
I had a new prop valve for my 68 so we decided to use it. Of course, the front lines wouldn't come loose from the original prop valve which required replacing them as well.

New prop valve, new front brake lines.
No improvement.

When you stand on the pedal & open the front bleeders, the pedal will sink.
When you stand on the pedal & open the rear bleeders, the pedal doesn't change.

I'm open to suggestion here . . ........
99CCSWB Driver
All Fleetsides
@rattlecankustoms in IG

Building a small, high rpm engine with the perfect bore, stroke and rod ratio is very impressive.
It's like a highly skilled Morrocan sword fighter with a Damascus Steel Scimitar.....

Cubic inches is like Indiana Jones with a cheap pistol.

Last edited by SCOTI; 07-17-2007 at 10:37 PM.
SCOTI is offline   Reply With Quote