The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network

Register or Log In To remove these advertisements.

Go Back   The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network > General Truck Forums > Suspension

Web 67-72chevytrucks.com

Prev Previous Post   Next Post Next
Old 07-19-2007, 05:37 PM   #1
Truckstr

Question Upgrading the 12-bolt Truck rearend - help?

I'm in the process of upgrading my rearend (hold the jokes please ) and would like a little input (okay, I said hold the jokes! ).

Seriously. First the background: I have the stock '67 12 bolt non-posi truck rearend equipped with 4.10 gears. I already have the 5-lug axles from Early Classics and am eagerly awaiting the arrival of the caliper brackets from glock35ipsc to mount Impala SS rear discs and Camaro calipers. My intention is to race this truck every once in a while, and MAYBE put some nitrous to it. Not a lot, no more than a 125-150 shot. More than anything, it will be street truck that I take down to the local SCCA-affiliated SOLO events, but no real competition there. I just want to see what I've set-up will do.

I have a Gear Vendors under/overdrive to install behind the tranny. The yoke for it uses the 1350-series U-joint. So, I know I'll need a new drive shaft. So, starting at the front of the rearend (rear yoke), I'll need a good strong rear yoke - preferably also using the 1350-series U-joint. But which one?

I want to install a "posi" differential. I've had my eye on the Eaton 19556-010 for 4-series. I like the fact that they're rebuildable (where Auburn's cone-drive, for instance, isn't). But I've also taken a hard look at the Detroit Locker.

So, which one? The notoriously noisy, yet virtually indestructible (and a bit more expensive) Detroit Locker or the tamer and more street oriented, but still tough Eaton unit?

Now, how about gears? I prefer 3.73s over the 4.10s that I currently have. The difference (by my calculations) on the drag strip won't be very much. Day-to-day driving, however, would be much better with the 3.73s (lower revs on the interstate by over 500 RPMs). But what brand? Richmond Gear, Yukon, what?

I'm looking for input from some of you guys that have actually used some of the parts I've mentioned, but I'll take directions to somebody that can help.

Thanks in advance,
Jeff
aka TruckSTR

'67 short Fleet; my ongoing project.
'66 long Fleet; my original "baby."

Live life or bust trying.
Truckstr is offline   Reply With Quote