The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network

Register or Log In To remove these advertisements.

Go Back   The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network > 47 - Current classic GM Trucks > The 1973 - 1987 Chevrolet & GMC Squarebody Pickups Message Board

Web 67-72chevytrucks.com

Prev Previous Post   Next Post Next
Old 07-22-2007, 11:24 PM   #1
slugish
Slugish

Question Going crazy & broke / HELP

MYSTORY IS THIS
REPLACED MSD BILLET DISTRIBUTER ABOUT 2000 MILES AGO - WAS FRIED BECAUSE NO GROUND STRAP FROM ENGINE TO CHASSIS, AT LEAST THAT IS WHAT i was told the problem possibly was
* some of you may remember my post of my truck on back of tow truck - rotor & cap was replaced on dist. ran ok for a while . engine ran for a few minutes , cut off , started back up ,cut off again. then wouldnt crank at all .
* next ,engine would just go dead going down the road, wait a while ,would crank back up etc.
* took to another garage , they said the msd box was bad. replaced that.
called msd- they said how did they test the box- they said you need msd test unit - not just reg. meters ?
* they said replace coil- so Ireplaced coil & wires.
* went to cruise in . ran ok there but guess what- took me 1 hr before it cranked. went dead after 2 miles . stumbled a few times in the 20 mile trip back home& let out a loud backfire right before Igot home.
* the only thing I didnt replace was the coil wire because the one I got with new wires was too short .

ANY IDEAS OF WHAT TO TRY NEXT WOULD BE APPRECIATED.
slugish is offline   Reply With Quote