The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network

Register or Log In To remove these advertisements.

Go Back   The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network > Welcome and Discussion > General Discussion

Web 67-72chevytrucks.com

Prev Previous Post   Next Post Next
Old 07-24-2007, 05:55 PM   #1
Rust Buster

Exclamation If you bought Por-15 Engine paint, read this!

My new GM Performance Parts HT383 crate engine came last week and it was like Christmas in July. I had recently bought 2 pints of Por-15 Chevy Orange engine enamel from TP Tools. I followed all the directions for prep and went to town painting my brand new crate engine.

What a horrible experience. The paint was so transparent that after three coats (the can says one will be plenty), there was hardly any coverage that it was apparent it was going to take upwards of 8 coats to cover the engine. On top of that, no matter how thin I put it on, it would run. Needless to say, I was not a happy camper...

So last night I wrote to TP Tools about my experience, fully realizing that they do not make the paint and they are just the retailer. This morning I got a call from one of their techs. After getting my email, he went to their supply of that paint and noticed there were two batch numbers, so he opened a can of each and went about painting something, and one of the batches produced results just like I was describing. The other batch was great he said.

So they notified Por-15 that they had a bad batch of paint. They are sending me two free pints of the good batch, a quart of their reducer (will spray it this time), and credit me on top of that. Very impressed with their customer service, and I've bought lots of stuff from them (sandblasting cabinet, HVLP Turbine system, etc).

So long story short, if you bought any Por-15 engine paint recently, check them. The bad batch has a yellow sticker on top, and the good has white.

Now I have the horrible task of stripping all of it off a brand new engine and starting over...
Attached Images

71 K10 LWB
52 Dodge Power Wagon
67 Dodge WM300 Power Wagon
48 Dodge WDX Power Wagon

My Build Thread
http://67-72chevytrucks.com/vboard/s...d.php?t=239487
Rust Buster is offline   Reply With Quote