The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network

Register or Log In To remove these advertisements.

Go Back   The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network > Welcome and Discussion > Welcome Area

Web 67-72chevytrucks.com

Prev Previous Post   Next Post Next
Old 07-27-2007, 12:17 PM   #1
jstreet

noob from Utah

I've been reading here for a while and have already gained a lot of knowledge. I finally have time and money to start working on my project so I figured it was about time to get a username and introduce myself since I'll be needing some of the expert knowledge that is on this board.

My project is an 84 Suburban that I bought off my dad almost 2 years ago. It was his project that got partially completed before he lost interest. So far the work its had done to it includes a 700r4/NP205 swap, 4 inch suspension lift, 315 75 R16 BFG's on aluminum wheels, 373 gears, posi on the rear limited slip on the front, polyurethane bushings and a new interior. The motor is mostly stock with a Edelbrock intake and carb, mild RV cam and headers.

As you can see a lot of the work is done but I still have some plans for the truck, here is what I'm planning on doing.

Motor - I'm planning on putting in a fuel injected 383. My plan for this engine is a combination of the HT383 and the RamJet 350. I want the flat torque curve of the Ramjet with the torque of the 383. Basically I want to build a 383 with vortec heads and put the RamJet Fuel Injection kit controlled by a MegaSquirt ECM. The MegaSquirts seems like an extremely flexible ecm that will eventually be able to control the newer electronic transmissions (for when I burn out my 700r4 and want to go with the 4l80e). I'll do the serpentine belt conversion while I'm at it.

Body - The truck needs painted and I want to build some nice off road bumpers for it. I need a swing out spare tire since the BFG's don't fit inside anymore. I also just custom fit a 3 bar Yakima roof rack with basket rack and 4 bike trays.

Interior - Once I get the Fuel injection and Megasquirt going I want to replace all the gauges with Autometers and then add some new ones (Tach, Air/Fuel ect).

My goal for this truck is to have something that will get 14-15+ MPG on the highway and still be able to go just about anywhere in the Utah back country while carrying 6-8 people and all their climbing, canyoneering, biking, hiking or camping gear.

So what do you all think of my plan?