The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network

Register or Log In To remove these advertisements.

Go Back   The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network > 47 - Current classic GM Trucks > The 1967 - 1972 Chevrolet & GMC Pickups Message Board

Web 67-72chevytrucks.com

Prev Previous Post   Next Post Next
Old 08-11-2007, 07:13 AM   #1
special-K
Special Order

Harmonic Balancers:What size came on what?

I know we have alot of small block I.D. questions here and we tell where the numbers are or look up the numbers and figure it out,usually.But,just to look under the hood and take notice of the balancer can at least give and idea of what motor it is by that.There could be the wrong one,some motors share the same,and all that.It`s not the Godspell,but it`s a good point of reference if you`re looking a vehicle over to buy(or whatever)and don`t have the numbers info or can`t clean that spot on whoever`s motor.
I`ve bought trucks that were said to have motors of this size or that,only to find it was not.I`m not absolutely sure of the variations in harmonic balancers and figure between us all we could get the lowdown and set it straight.I have a truck that was s`posed to have a 400SBC and another that was s`posed to be a 327 and neither are.The 400 wannabee I bought and had shipped,so I never got to check it out and took their word.The 327 wannabee is my`71 wrecker and I knew that was no 327 by the lack of crankcase vent tube and other external differences.I wanted a 327 for my`67 project,but wanted a bigger motor for the wrecker.So,it was no big deal that it was a 350.
When listing what you know give the approximateeyeball)thickness,such as a 307 is about 3/4"/the 350 is about 1 1/2".If two displacements share a balancer,list it that way.Give any other characyeristics that could help,too.I want this to be a good reference for all to make note.Well,not for know-it-alls.This is a waste of time for you guys.

GMC '67 C1500 Wideside Super Custom SWB: 327/M22/3.42 posi.........."The '67" (project)
GMC '72 K2500 Wideside Sierra Custom Camper: 350/TH350/4.10 Power-Lok..."The '72" (rolling)
Tim

"Don't call me a redneck. I'm a rough cut country gentleman"

R.I.P. ~ East Side Low Life ~ El Jay ~ 72BLUZ ~ Fasteddie69 ~ Ron586 ~ 67ChevyRedneck ~ Grumpy Old Man ~

Last edited by special-K; 08-11-2007 at 07:13 AM.
special-K is offline   Reply With Quote