The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network

Register or Log In To remove these advertisements.

Go Back   The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network > 47 - Current classic GM Trucks > The 1967 - 1972 Chevrolet & GMC Pickups Message Board

Web 67-72chevytrucks.com

Prev Previous Post   Next Post Next
Old 08-17-2007, 09:26 PM   #1
Rippin-J
OurLadyofBlessedAccelerat ion

New to the forum... need some help

Just joined the forum. Couldn't be more excited about the wealth of knowledge and help that seems to be out there.

So, here is my challenge, sorry in advance for the lengthy post.

Drove my truck to work (about 10 miles), then again at lunch (about 2 miles).... when I got back in to head home (about 6 hours later), the battery was dead. very dead.

Got a jump from a tow truck (thanks to AAA, and no thanks to the Nissan parked next to me), and was able to drive home. Replaced the battery in the truck and the second I attached the negative cable to the battery, it tried to turn over.... funny thing, the key wasn't in it and the ignition switch was in the 'off' position.

Then, I replaced the solenoid, thinking maybe it had stuck, grounding the circuit without first going through the ignition. didn't help.

replaced the ignition switch, and actually tried to connect battery with the ignition switch completely unattached, and it still tried to turn over!

so it's not the batter, not the solenoid, and not the ignition switch (that I can tell). AND, I can't even connect the battery without the motor firing up.

I am at a complete loss at this point and need some direction before I just start pulling wires out.

THANKS!!

1968 Chevy C-20 w/ 396
1997 HD Sportster 1200 street tracker
1994 Chevy 1500 Silverado

Last edited by Rippin-J; 08-17-2007 at 09:27 PM.
Rippin-J is offline   Reply With Quote