The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network

Register or Log In To remove these advertisements.

Go Back   The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network > 47 - Current classic GM Trucks > The 1967 - 1972 Chevrolet & GMC Pickups Message Board

Web 67-72chevytrucks.com

Prev Previous Post   Next Post Next
Old 08-19-2007, 06:28 PM   #1
Chip327

Gear Ratio for Rear End ??

Hi everyone ,

I just broke a pinion gear in my pickup and need to fix the rear end. Currently I have 41 teeth on the ring gear and 11 teeth on the pinion gear which translates into a 3.73 gear ratio. The cover is a 12 bolt irregular bolt pattern cover .

I dont know much about rear ends. I have always done all the work on my truck. I would like to fix this issue myself if it is possible . Before I start anything though , I am considering changing the gear ratio in my rear end and would like to get some input from anyone who has done this before....

I have a 327 engine and a 3 speed Saginaw tranny ( I thought it was a Muncie but after doing some searches on the internet I now believe it is a Saginaw) My original owners manual says that the Saginaw tranny has the following ratios.

1st - 2.85:1
2nd - 1.68:1
3rd - 1:1

With my existing rear end ratio of 3.73 I was cranking about 2700rpm doing 60 mph on the highway. I have a 28" tire diameter right now. Obviously not the best gas mileage so I was thinking of going to a 3.42 or a 3.08 rear end since Im replacing it anyways..... Im not worried about snap or racing off the line anymore and would rather get some better gas mileage . I am concerned with my 1st gear ratio and I dont want to be too low that Im always chattering the clutch . I do have plans to eventually put an automatic into the truck but that is still a few years away yet. Also note that I am pulling a small travel trailer once in a while ( not super heavy )....

Also, Im not sure whether my existing rear end will fit the higher gears. I dont want to change the whole thing out if possible.

Any help on this would be greatly appreciated....

Next step will be to find someone close by who has the necessary parts.

THANKS !!

67 GMC Pickup
Chip327 is offline   Reply With Quote