The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network

Register or Log In To remove these advertisements.

Go Back   The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network > 47 - Current classic GM Trucks > The 1967 - 1972 Chevrolet & GMC Pickups Message Board

Web 67-72chevytrucks.com

Prev Previous Post   Next Post Next
Old 08-23-2007, 06:07 PM   #1
boot_smart

Decoding Axle Codes?

Anyone have a link where I can decode my axle codes on my 12 bolt rear end. Ive seen hundreds of links for this one http://www.americanclassic.com/paint.htm but this wont work if you have no idea where the rear end axle came from.

I bought a 68 short-bed from a fellow about 3 weeks ago, that he was making into a rat rod. I saw more potential than the rat rod. So Ive started rebuilding it into a nice show truck.

I ran across a rear axle leak on the hub and its got me looking for where the drive train has come from? Its got a 400 sb in it and a THM 400 tranny, and supposed to be a 3:42 gear in the axle. I know none of this stuff if original.

Im not second guessing about the rear end as it really dont matter what he said. I'll rebuild the seals and bearings and get the ratio from the ring and pinion gear.

But I would like to know what it came out of, same as the tranny and engine there easier to track down but the axle if becoming more difficult to do. Any help would be much appreciated.

If you know any of the numbers it would be great but I dont mind looking up them myself if I can find a place to do it at.

Here's all the numbers I could find on it, on the back of the housing drivers side Con 1 and above that on top is K307. On the front drivers side housing is GM56 and front passenger side NF 3896839 the bold 3 could be a 9. Nothing on the axle tube.

Thanks for any help

Eventually you get kicked enough you become boot smart
boot_smart is offline   Reply With Quote