The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network

Register or Log In To remove these advertisements.

Go Back   The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network > 47 - Current classic GM Trucks > The 1960 - 1966 Chevrolet & GMC Pickups Message Board

Web 67-72chevytrucks.com

Prev Previous Post   Next Post Next
Old 09-08-2007, 09:24 AM   #1
javadoc
Hey Watch this...

Just brought home: '64 Stepside SWB

Thought I'd introduce myself here. The missus and I had been talking about getting an older truck to fix up, and last weekend found a 'non-basket case' '64 Stepside, 283, 4speed stick, and a very short rear end gear. It's in pretty good shape, the body's good, engine runs okay, but oh man, it doesn't stop. Disc brakes (and a drop) are one of the first orders of business!

At any rate, this is the first time that I've had something w/a carb in about 20yrs, back when I was in high school and had an El Camino, and it's going to be fun making the truck cherry. I'm a total car-nut but most of my experience has been in turbo-charged Volvos (my current ride is a 300awhp/360ft-lbs) V70R, so this is a marked change.

This weekend, we're going to attempt to put in an HEI and toss the points ignition... and tune-up and fluids change. It currently likes to stall if I pull it out of gear when coming to a stoplight. The idle dips, so hopefully that's a simple fix.

Glad to see this site is here and I'll be doing a TON of reading to bone up on knowledge. I'll try not to ask too many bone-headed questions.

Cheers,

Scott
javadoc is offline   Reply With Quote