The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network

Register or Log In To remove these advertisements.

Go Back   The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network > Welcome and Discussion > Welcome Area

Web 67-72chevytrucks.com

Prev Previous Post   Next Post Next
Old 09-10-2007, 01:01 PM   #1
tbrownie2000

New Buckeye State Member

I am located in central Ohio just north of Columbus between the cities of Powell and Delaware. I bought a 1970 C/10 about 6 years ago for $1800, shortly after my wife and I purchased our first house, an old farmhouse that was in need of some attention. I figured if nothing else the truck would come in handy for occasional hauling needs. The truck itself was a potential project in itself, with a large dent in the right front fender, damage on the back right fender, some small rusted-through areas in the rocker panels, and a faded red paint job. The truck, however, became my regular transportation after a short time, and continued as a daily driver until about 2004. The truck was fun to drive, and after a buddy installed an electronic ignition the small-block V8 performed unbelievably better. But with 2 growing kids and a wife that was tired of the family always taking her car, I had to buy a more conventional car. The truck was relegated to sit in the driveway, and was driven less and less until keeping insurance and current registration did not seem to make much sense. The truck sat and sat and was started less and less. After awhile the front tires went flat, and the weeds in the gravel driveway around the truck grew tall. The rusted-through areas slowly grew larger, and small piles of rusty sheet-metal bits formed on the ground under the truck The truck sat for about a year and a half without being started, becoming an eyesore for the wife and likely for the neighbors also. Two weekends ago I decided that the ignorance must stop, so I brought out the air compressor and the battery charger, and inflated the tires, and tried to start the truck. I fully expected that by now it probably wouldn't event turn over, and likely needed a number of repairs to even get going. Much to my surprise, after installing a charged battery, the truck fired up in about 5 minutes, and ran for an hour. The sound of the engine running was music to my ears, and at that point I decided that the slow rebirth of this truck must begin. It was later that evening when I encountered this website.

I would like to eventually restore this truck nearly to its showroom appearance, and I know this will take a lot of work. My first steps will be to find a decent set of factory wheels and install some new tires, and find a spot for the truck in my barn. I am hoping that this website will be a valuable source for parts and advice and a place to show the truck's progress. Thanks

Tim B
tbrownie2000 is offline   Reply With Quote