The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network

Register or Log In To remove these advertisements.

Go Back   The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network > 47 - Current classic GM Trucks > The 1967 - 1972 Chevrolet & GMC Pickups Message Board

Web 67-72chevytrucks.com

Prev Previous Post   Next Post Next
Old 09-12-2007, 03:53 PM   #1
streetstar

Scrap It -- Or Drive It ??

Dilemma with my '71. I know a lot of you guys on the board dig the patina thing -- and until i started checking out the boards, patina to me was just another word for neglect and old age. I posted a similar thread a couple months ago about this same truck and was told to keep it, but i figured i would submit a few more detailed photos this time. I

I originally bought this truck with the intention of scrapping everything but the rolling chassis, which i was going to use to convert a LWB i have to a shortie. Thing about it is - it is fun to drive - i took it to a cruise in and was surrounded by people who loved it because of its original "patina" - which i thought was weird until i checked out the boards-- the 6 is fuggly, but runs great. I could fix the floorboards, rockers and cab mounts to make a more weather proof drive, but with the rust on the roof, its really not worth it to spend too much effort on the cab.

After driving it awhile, i wavered back and forth on parting it and halfway decided to lower it and keep it among the land of the living, but now that its time to chop it and scrap it or not --- i dont know, so i figured i would get an opinion from the board after you guys checked out the pics.

If i keep it as is, i will never have any intention of making the thing "nice" i would just fix the floor and rockers and drive it

the frame and running gear is still good with nothing but surface rust -- the extreme condition of the cab is because a PO took a cb antenna off the roof without bothering to plug the hole -- decades of rain water will do that to a truck through an opening like that

left side

right side

250 straight six, albeit a greasy one

external fuel tank is kinda *****in' -- especially since the corrosion level matches the exterior to a tee

bed corner is mangled

Even the bed sides have problems

Front of cab roof is fried from an old CB antenna hole that wasnt sealed when the CB was removed

Roached out rocker panels on both sides -- cab mounts match

SO there it is -- Scrap it (and use the frame for something else) or drive it ?
streetstar is offline   Reply With Quote