The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network

Register or Log In To remove these advertisements.

Go Back   The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network > 47 - Current classic GM Trucks > The 1960 - 1966 Chevrolet & GMC Pickups Message Board

Web 67-72chevytrucks.com

Prev Previous Post   Next Post Next
Old 09-12-2007, 07:07 PM   #1
Patina66

Project '66...

Hey guys I'm pretty new on here - been browsing for a while. I picked up this '66 short stepside on ebay a couple months back and it arrived into the UK a couple weeks ago. I have always been a VW guy and own my own shop doing VW suspension modification, but have always admired these 60's trucks. I always wanted a short fleetside, but when I saw this with the original paint and the tire mount I fell for it. I have a real thing for faded original paint and lowered suspension.

Plans are to buff out the paint, do the metalwork, then blend with a color match and swap the badly dented rear fender for the better one that came with it. Then drop spindles and disc brakes, maybe some 2" blocks for the rear and a c notch. I guess I got lucky, as the suspension is already lowered on coils, but I don't know how much. It has an adjustable rear track bar and shock relocator kit installed. I plan to do some logos for my shop on the doors when it is done and use it to tow VW buses from Europe and the docks on a trailer. I also need to find a nice stepside rear bumper, as I can only find suppliers for chrome ones. Maybe I'll turn up a good used one..? These are the pics of the day I collected it from the shipper.

The bed had been repainted at some point in a similar color to the original, fortunately this sands off easily with wet 400 or 600 wet and dry. Here I have exposed the original paint underneath

I have been removing the flames and door logos, but they must have used house paint or something, it won't come off unless you sand it and takes the original paint off underneath. I painted the Chevrolet on the grille in black as original and have been wet sanding with 2000 grit and buffing the paint. It is turning out awesome. All this is until I can let my wallet recover and order some parts and panels. It needs 1 outer rocker, both front fender rear sections, 1 outrigger/floor support and some door repairs. Apart from this it is rust free.
I plan to powder coat the stock rims black and fit thin band whitewall radial tires. Anyone know a supplier for these?

Patina66 is offline   Reply With Quote