The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network

Register or Log In To remove these advertisements.

Go Back   The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network > 47 - Current classic GM Trucks > The 1947 - 1959 Chevrolet & GMC Pickups Message Board

Web 67-72chevytrucks.com

Prev Previous Post   Next Post Next
Old 09-14-2007, 03:13 PM   #1
xakk

What HAVE I gotten myself into?

So here's the thing. The wife told me I have to stop taking the vette apart just because I'm bored and want to tinker with something. It's more or less done, it runs well, and short of a few interior touches, good to go. So I asked her what she thought about me buying an old truck to fix up. There's a 68 for sale down the road from us that I'd been eyeing off and on. She says sure, but only if she gets to help with this build. I'm ok with that.

But then she says she wants to do an older truck. The "cool" ones. I said well, mom has a couple sitting at her house that my dad did some trading for years ago and never did anything with. She wants them gone. I suppose we could do something with one of them. I tell her there's a '66 long bed and a '57 stepside. Her eyes lit up. I guess that answers that question. So now I've got a '57 3200 and an extra bed and a lot of work ahead.

We're not in any rush. It's just one of those things I want to work on when we've got time. We're not building a show truck, although I still want to make it nice. The original engine and transmission is still there, but I've got a 350 block and a TH350 to go in it and I'm sure we'll go IFS to make things more streetable.

As it stands right now, what you see is pretty much where it sits. I've got to either get some air in the tires or get some new tires on it to get it moved. Once I get it moved into the shop, we'll start tearing things down and see how bad it really is. It looks like it'll need fenders and a floor pan, but I really expected that. At least the grille is still there.

xakk is offline   Reply With Quote