The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network

Register or Log In To remove these advertisements.

Go Back   The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network > General Truck Forums > All 4x4 Tech & Off Roading

Web 67-72chevytrucks.com

Prev Previous Post   Next Post Next
Old 09-15-2007, 01:20 AM   #1
CG
BlahBlahBlah

Switching to auto.

I had a spare 4x4 1/2 ton chassis with both differentials and automatic trans.. I was going to transfer this all over to my 71 4x4 with 4spd. Rear was shot in my driver and I wanted automatic. All I ever transfered over was the rear.

I don't know much about gear ratios, but I do know, that rear end, matched to my 4spd didnt work too well going up hills with any kind of grade. I had to shift down to third all the time. It has a pretty healthy 350 in it too.

Ive since given that truck to one of my sons (for the third time...don't ask) its his problem now. I'm keeping the auto trans set up though (the one I never got around to switching over).

Well now I'm the proud owner of a 71 4x4 3/4 ton with a 4spd. If I swap the auto trans set up into this truck am I going to have any drive ratio problems?
I really don't care for shifting, and since this truck will see nearly all street use I think the auto trans is a good choice.

Thanks for any insights.

Mark

Last edited by CG; 09-15-2007 at 01:21 AM.
CG is offline   Reply With Quote