The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network

Register or Log In To remove these advertisements.

Go Back   The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network > 47 - Current classic GM Trucks > The 1967 - 1972 Chevrolet & GMC Pickups Message Board

Web 67-72chevytrucks.com

Prev Previous Post   Next Post Next
Old 09-19-2007, 12:14 PM   #1
Lobo'74

Overdrive Shifter Ideas?

My '79 stock clutch and 3 speed have bit the dust. I found a replacement Saginaw 4 speed for the Saginaw 3 speed. It is the stronger "1 line" and is a close ratio box. I also found a 3 speed OD unit. I have the info on how to convert the newly rebuilt 4 speed to a 4 speed OD unit. Basically, you pull the the mainshaft of the 4 speed out, pull the gears and syncros off, pull all the gears and sycros off the 3 speed OD shaft, put the 4 speed gears and syncros on, and replace the 3 speed OD tailhousing with modified mainshaft onto the 4 speed. There is a bit more to it, but thats a quick and dirty overview. The info I have says to use a Hurst 4 speed shifter and the rods from the Hurst 3 speed OD shifter.

A couple of problems. First, what Hurst shifter to use? I currently have an old Fenton 3 speed floor shift (for OLD hot rod fans). I don't need a "truck" shifter as I have bucket seats in the Truck. I want a shorter throw than the truck shifter. What is a good choice for a shifter?

Second, I doubt that Hurst has made a 3 speed OD shifter for years and years. Any ideas on what to do for the shift rods?

I am going to have a local tranny shop do the mods on the tranny and am going to install a new clutch (any thoughts on a good, low effort diaphram chutch for a 350 HP 350?) and the new tranny and shifter helping out my local auto repair shop mechanics (so I can say I didn't just throw money at the truck and say "I" hot rodded it). Not looking for any exotic fixes, but would appreciate any thoughts on this project.

Looks like with parts, shipping, labor and all (including a new clutch, shifter etc) it is going to run $1900 to get a 4 speed OD up and running.
Lobo'74 is offline   Reply With Quote