The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network

Register or Log In To remove these advertisements.

Go Back   The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network > General Truck Forums > Suspension

Web 67-72chevytrucks.com

Prev Previous Post   Next Post Next
Old 12-29-2002, 07:07 PM   #1
Paul Rucker

Unhappy '98 K1500 Steering Problems going straight $ Level...

1998 K1500 Z-71 Extended SWB, 87k miles, 305, while driving going down the road at any speed, you can feel the steering pull or move for a second to the left, just like someone (invisible) gave it a little tug. I know just by looking at the front tires, it has too much positive camber I believe, the tops of the tires are a little further out than normal, not much though. Various wheel alignment shops say it is within spec. Front end feels like there is play, such as when going over a speed bump slowley with 1 front tire first then the other. The intermirrent grabbing of the steering feels like the front wheels want to wander... I am getting ready to tear it apart to check it out. Perhaps bad wheel bearings, the idler arm , and other arms look tight and I have greased them. I had the idler or draglink replaced last summer. One shop said it needed a draglink and idler, Pep Boys said just one was in order, the other was ok.
Had one of them replaced. can't remember which. I really feels like loose wheel bearings, simple tug on wheel with my hands with the vehicle down feels ok. Also feels like worn tie-rod ends or a loose idler arm. Any easy way to point me in, if anyone has experienced this before. All help and opinions welcomed!
Paul Rucker is offline   Reply With Quote