The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network

Register or Log In To remove these advertisements.

Go Back   The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network > 47 - Current classic GM Trucks > The 1973 - 1987 Chevrolet & GMC Squarebody Pickups Message Board

Web 67-72chevytrucks.com

Prev Previous Post   Next Post Next
Old 10-14-2007, 05:28 PM   #1
mercman1951

Radio Installs

Hi All,

When I bought my '86 GMC, some asshat hacked up the dash bezel, and cut away the factory sheet metal of the dash around the original radio openings to install an aftermarket Sony CD player. It was so hacked up, it sat inboard about 2" into the dash, was crooked, missing the trim, and they used a bunch of black foam of some sort to make it look like it fit- but it didn't. To top it off, it didn't work. I tore it all out today to assess the damage. The radio works fine now, (no radio fuse was in the fusebox ) so I want to just basically un-do what was done and make it look more professional. (I've done many car stereo installs so I am familiar with the kits and adapters and such, but since this truck was never designed for this style radio:

I was wondering if anyone out there has done a clean install using a newer-style aftermarket CD player, and what parts you used to pull this off and make it look presentable. My dash bezel is a hacked nightmare (see pics.) I can probably save it by laminating a new piece of plastic over the top of the now way-too-big opening, and re-cutting a new opening...but I am looking for other alternatives...such as finding an un-cut bezel, and modifying it a little more "neatly"...any pics of what you did?
Attached Images

Last edited by mercman1951; 10-15-2007 at 12:56 PM.
mercman1951 is offline   Reply With Quote