The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network

Register or Log In To remove these advertisements.

Go Back   The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network > 47 - Current classic GM Trucks > The 1967 - 1972 Chevrolet & GMC Pickups Message Board

Web 67-72chevytrucks.com

Prev Previous Post   Next Post Next
Old 10-27-2007, 03:50 PM   #1
SactoJim

DAOTM or MOTM...you pick.

Dear moderators....we need a new "of the month" category....either DAOTM (dumb @ss of the month) or MOTM (moron of the month)!

I hereby nominate myself for this new category.

....so last night I'm messing with some wheel spacers on the front wheels of my truck cuz I'm not happy with the offset (too anal). I know they aren't the best solution but they are only .25" and I'm not spending $700 bucks to correct .25".

I knew that I would need to replace wheel studs with slightly longer ones cuz the spacers reduced the amount of "grab" of the lugs by too much, but for just around the parking lot it would be OK...after all I did get them to tighten down.........WRONG.

After a few zips around the lot, I'm making a slow left hand turn when all of a sudden the left front corner takes a big dip followed by the sound of metal against asphalt!...I new immediately what happened, got out of the truck slowly, and inched my way aroung the front to survey the damage....SON OF A........! Folded up the rear edge of the fender...damn! (actual verbiage was more substantial, colorful, and accompanied by much body language as well). That looked to be the worst of it, but I still had to roll a floor jack out a couple hundred feet, figure out how to jack it up...couple more trips back to the shop to get some wood blocks...it's fricken dark now...studs are screwed up, so I'm have a helluva time getting lugs back on.....GOD I hope nobody sees me!...just wanna get it back in the shop and go home.

I don't remember the drive home and the wife said I just curled up in a ball in the corner and was unresponsive the rest of the night! My psychologist said I should share my experience cuz it will make me feel better...right.

...and no pics cuz I refuse to document my stupidity any further!
- 4 wheel discs
- relocated fuel tank
-

My Build Thread

Last edited by SactoJim; 10-27-2007 at 04:01 PM.
SactoJim is offline   Reply With Quote