The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network

Register or Log In To remove these advertisements.

Go Back   The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network > 47 - Current classic GM Trucks > The 1967 - 1972 Chevrolet & GMC Pickups Message Board

Web 67-72chevytrucks.com

Prev Previous Post   Next Post Next
Old 01-07-2003, 12:20 AM   #1
RON WOODGEARD
Resident Young Old Dude !

Thumbs down D@mn, I hate Champion plugs !!!!!!!!!!!!!!

A few months ago after almost 2 years, I got back into working on my 70. Dumd a@@ me forgot to empty the carb of all gas and in this heat it turned to varnish, plugging the idle passages and accelerator pump passages. I cleaned it up and had it running pretty good but something was still wrong, and I couldn't put my finger on it. I went to get new plugs and they were out of the NGK platinum tipped that I usually run, and all they really had were Champion truck plugs. Ok I'll give them a try. The engine hasn't run right since I started back on it, popping and doing some backfiring out of the carb. not revving smoothly ETC. I did the points,condensor,rotor,cap, ETC,ETC. today I went out ,determined it was still my carb. and I had overlooked something when I cleaned it out.
I had 2 holley 390's sitting on the bench that I'm using for the tunnel ram in the future, so I figured I'd bolt one on just to get it running. It did the same thing it was doing. I removed a spark plug wire, put a screw driver in the end of it and held it a little ways away from ground. It fired hot. (I have a Jacobson Omni-pak also) But it still wasn't running. So I took a plug out and grounded it against the header.. Well there it was,,,, The plugs were fouled. I stuck my old plugs back in and it ran like it was supposed to/used to, all along. Jeese, My old engine's back.. I HATE CHAMPION PLUGS. I knew better when the guy mentioned them but gave them the benefit of the doubt anyway. NEVER AGAIN!!!!!!!!!

Did I mention I hate Champion spark plugs?????

RON
RON WOODGEARD is offline   Reply With Quote