The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network

Register or Log In To remove these advertisements.

Go Back   The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network > 47 - Current classic GM Trucks > The 1967 - 1972 Chevrolet & GMC Pickups Message Board

Web 67-72chevytrucks.com

Prev Previous Post   Next Post Next
Old 11-23-2007, 09:22 AM   #1
ToddSS

Transmission noise/compatability questions....

So I really have a few questions that I've been pondering for some time now. My '68 has a TH400 in it that I'm not sure if it's original or not. The trans works perfectly as far as shifting, however, when it is cold and you first start it and put it in reverse, sometimes it makes this horrible squealing/screaming sound. It does it both stopped and while rolling in reverse. Once the trans warms up (drive it about 2 miles), it never does it again.

It doesn't bother me a ton, but I'm trying to sell it and it wouldn't be acceptable to a buyer if they heard it. It's pretty bad. I have no idea what the noise is. Some buddies have said valve body. Beats me. The local trans shop guessed a couple of hundred to fix it, which I'm considering.

The other option is replacing it and that is my second question. What transmission options do I have? Obviously, I don't want to hack the truck and weld new crossmembers and change d-shaft yokes. So I know these came with TH400's and TH350's. Will those interchange? With no modifications anywhere? What about passenger car TH350's? Spline count the same? Length the same?

I've heard of short tail transmissions and I assume long tails are out there. Can I use a 4WD unit and change rear tails?

I'm looking at donor vehicles also now because the engine uses too much oil and I can buy a driving truck for $800 or so when it would cost me that much just to rebuild the 327 plus a ton of time I don't want to spend just to sell it. Then add the cost to repair the transmission and I'm in it pretty deep when I would just like to find something and swap the whole shooting match.

Any suggestions would be apprecaited. Would like an 81 Regal or something with a TH350 bolt in, engine and trans? Also, if any of you guys have a truck in the Michigan area that has a good running engine and trans that you would sell, let me know!

Thanks!