The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network

Register or Log In To remove these advertisements.

Go Back   The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network > 47 - Current classic GM Trucks > The 1967 - 1972 Chevrolet & GMC Pickups Message Board

Web 67-72chevytrucks.com

Prev Previous Post   Next Post Next
Old 11-28-2007, 06:48 AM   #1
Sport/Truck
Sierra Grande Club

Gibbs oil~ the test

After reading allot about this Gibbs oil I decided this was my best approach to preserving the engine bay of my truck. Painting would make the rest of the truck look out of place. And undercoating looks hideous (IMO makes it look like you are trying to cover up something). Plus the fact that I’m very picky and didn’t want to paint over all the various brake lines, new springs etc.

I had mustered a few guys at work to go in on a case of Gibbs ~ worked out to be $12.50 a can. I had previously rented a Hotsey hot water power washer and completely degreased my engine bay. It sat all summer with bare metal exposed and developed some surface rust. But my main problem is the rust below the master cylinder.

So since my engine is out, everything is clean I just started hosing the Gibbs on. I used a rag to soak up some puddles and made sure everything was coated. The Gibbs seemed to soften the undercoating too, the stains on the firewall were hard to clean when power washing. I used degreasers/cleaners with no luck and the Gibbs seemed to loosen them a bit. I grabbed a rag and use xylene and they came off! I simply recoated the area one more time to make it all shiny.

Overall I’m impressed with the outcome; the whole process only took an hour.
So I had plenty of time to mess around with this stuff.

My heater box looked like its 36 years old, I contemplated painting it etc. I put a small amount of Gibbs in an inconspicuous area on the under side, and I’m telling you it looks very nice! I smeared it with my finger and then wiped it with a clean rag and it looks new! I’m going to let it sit and see how it looks in a day or two. I’ll do another write up with pictures when I make my decision about doing the whole thing or not, but from what I seen so far I’m betting I’ll do it!
I also did a small area on the tailgate’s wood trim, again very impressed!

I’ll keep this updated on the progress as it transpires. I want to see how long it takes to soak in to be dry to the touch and how it looks etc. My hope is that the main rust area will turn to a patina and not look so “rusty”. The frame looks pretty good so far.

Oh yea, I did an old intake on the weekend I got the stuff, it’s been a week and its dry!
I don’t have any after pictures yet but will post them when I take them.

Sorry for the long post, but figured a few of you wanted the full scoop.
s/t

These are the before pictures.....
Attached Images

1971 GMC Sierra Grande, 1/2 ton short wide, original 4 bolt 010 020 block & heads. (matching #'s). 383 stroker, SMI q jet 750 cfm, Lunati Voodoo 60102 cam, Scorpion roller rockers, Spin Tech pro street mufflers with X pipe.
Sport/Truck is offline   Reply With Quote