The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network

Register or Log In To remove these advertisements.

Go Back   The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network > 47 - Current classic GM Trucks > The 1967 - 1972 Chevrolet & GMC Pickups Message Board

Web 67-72chevytrucks.com

Prev Previous Post   Next Post Next
Old 12-06-2007, 02:30 PM   #1
soba_03

amp meter question

ok i have a single wire alternator installed by PO. The trucks amp meter hasn't worked since I got it. and now I'm havine a problem. after a start or two the battery voltage drops low enough that a third start almost always requires jumper cables and a little help from a passing motorist.

Ok the question is this, on a single wire alternator instalation can the original ampmeter work? Then how is the ampmeter wired. there is a wire on the alternator that has a spade connector on it that is just hanging out there with nothing connected to it. I don't have a schematic to follow so I thought I'd ask here.

As for the charging problem, I believe that because I only drive the truck back and forth to work which is only about 3 miles each way that it is not giving the truck time to replace the charge that I'm loosing trying to get it to start. I have had the battery load tested and it's fine and the battery reads 12.32 vdc when not running and 13.41 when the truck is running and 31.18vac when running so diodes are good in alternator.

I need to get the amp meter to work so that I may monitor the charging system more closely. Any help would be great.

Thanks!!!
soba_03 is offline   Reply With Quote