The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network

Register or Log In To remove these advertisements.

Go Back   The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network > 47 - Current classic GM Trucks > The 1967 - 1972 Chevrolet & GMC Pickups Message Board

Web 67-72chevytrucks.com

Prev Previous Post   Next Post Next
Old 01-09-2003, 11:38 PM   #1
Bilgewiper

First post newbie w/new project

Been lurking on this board for a short time. Done allot of searches on wheel sizes, exhaust, swaybars, vintage A/C, etc etc. Wow this is a great board! Really active! Mostly have only spent time on boating and marine boards. Can't wait to get into my next project and having you all as a resource is exciting! Thanks in advance.

Tomorrow is the big day. I am making a 300 mi. trip to pick up a 1971 C-10 LWB, auto, V-8, Blue and white (not a super Cheyenne) that I have known about for years and only spent 45 seconds looking at once. It was my wife's best friends parents truck. Would of spent longer but I when I arrived had to deal with a medical emergency and I sat on it's tail gate waiting to wave down the ambulance. Sorry, this could be a long story. Ok, I'll shorten it. About 1985 its owner died. The truck was his pride and joy. His widow would not part with it. She drove it on and off for another 14 years to keep his memory alive. Unfortunately she parked it outside and the battery went dead around 1999-2000. When I saw it 3 months ago, for that 45 seconds, it had flat tires and faded paint. Has about 80,000 original miles on it. Now the widow has moved over here to live with her daughter and when I mentioned it to her that I would like to buy it and keep it in the family so to speak she reluctantly agreed because she would at least still get to see it often. She agreed to the $500 I offered her. The money is not important to her.....keeping it in the family is. So I am going to trailer it home tomorrow. My kids 12 and 8 are just as excited as I am. I figure on pulling the plugs first and shooting in some Marvel Mystery oil to soak while I change all the fluids, filters and drain the fuel tank and who knows what else? After reading allot of your posts about sway bars I hit the pick and pull yard yesterday and snagged a 1 1/4 ft. bar off a mid 80's 1 ton. Drilling those rivets out isn't fun with your eyes closed because I forgot eye protection. I have a digital camera and if I can figure it out I will post pictures soon. Hope I can sleep tonight!

"Time spent Boating is NOT deducted from ones lifespan".
Bilgewiper is offline   Reply With Quote