The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network

Register or Log In To remove these advertisements.

Go Back   The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network > 47 - Current classic GM Trucks > The 1967 - 1972 Chevrolet & GMC Pickups Message Board

Web 67-72chevytrucks.com

Prev Previous Post   Next Post Next
Old 01-10-2003, 03:20 AM   #1
JVictor75
Maintenance Man

SBC to BBC need help and/or advice please.

Finally decided to do the SBC to Big Block changeover.

I already know where the motor mount towers go, but I have a couple of other questions.

The truck (71 LWB C-10) has 1" drop coils in the front, and I need to know if I am going to need to replace the springs for going from mouse motor to rat.

How much further am I going to need to move the transmission crossmember? The truck has a TH-350. Also, will this transmssion hold up to a fairly stock 396? It (the motor) has a 3/4 cam, aka RV cam, and I'm going to put headers and a Performer intake on it.

Can I use the starter from my 350 on the big block? Reason I ask is that they are the same part number at Jeg's, Summit, and the others, and I'd kind of like to know. Also, will I have to "recurve" the HEI setup I have? And finally, will a 650 cfm Edelbrock performer carb work for now? Or should I rebuild the 750 Holley I have? Don't know the "model" number of the Holley.

While I'm doing this I'm going to go ahead and put the 68 front clip on, replace the heater core, the radiator support bushings and the control arm bushings. ( Control arm bushings are the only thing I didn't replace when I "fixed" the front end 7 months and 3K miles ago.

Anyone have any comments? Advice? Words of encouragement? Extra money floating around you just "have" to get rid of? Any of the above would be helpful and appreciated.
JVictor75 is offline   Reply With Quote