The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network

Register or Log In To remove these advertisements.

Go Back   The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network > 47 - Current classic GM Trucks > The 1973 - 1987 Chevrolet & GMC Squarebody Pickups Message Board

Web 67-72chevytrucks.com

Prev Previous Post   Next Post Next
Old 12-26-2007, 08:23 AM   #1
72C10chevy4x4
UK Wildcat Fan!

350 won't start-where should I look?

it's a 78 350 w/ the coil built into the cap (is that an HEI?).

The engine will NOT start. replaced the inline fuel filter in the 2 barrell carb-tested it and there is plenty of gas coming out (pumped it manually and observed it squirting in). Air-tryed placing a towel over the carb, closing the butterfly shut, partially open, no indication it wants to start. finally, replaced cap,rotor and checked spark at end of a plug-it's there, but not strong. not sure how strong it should be, but there is spark. will go back and replace plugs to see if that helps.

how about the spark-how much spark do you NEED to start the engine? gas and starting fluid in the carb made no impact on it starting and I hooked up the jumper cables to get it turning more quickly-still no dice.

help! I've exhausted all my ideas except for a weak coil-would like to know it's bad before buying another (is there a test?)
72C10chevy4x4 is offline   Reply With Quote