The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network

Register or Log In To remove these advertisements.

Go Back   The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network > 47 - Current classic GM Trucks > The 1960 - 1966 Chevrolet & GMC Pickups Message Board

Web 67-72chevytrucks.com

Prev Previous Post   Next Post Next
Old 12-28-2007, 01:04 PM   #1
merlin65

Clutch Problems... HELP!!!!!

I recently pulled my 230 inline out of my 65 to put in a 283 and this is where the problem begins. The 283 was out of a 67 truck I was told with a 3 speed on the tree like my truck. I was told the tranny with the 283 was starting to go bad so I seperated the 283 from it. The clutch and pressure plate on the 283 were like new and worked great when pulled. I pulled my 230 out and left the transmission in because mine worked fine. I started comparing the 65 inline 6 transmission to the 67 283 one. I noticed the release bearing was different so I swapped it. I also noticed the fork arms were different but the v8 release bearing seemed to fit on the 65 fork just fine, so I left it in . That is where I think I messed up. I threw in the 283, everything went fine. typical z bar headaches. I attached the clutch rods up and tried to put it in gear, problem starts. I cannot shift the gears, the clutch is engaged and it seems I cannot disengage it. I have adjusted everything to try to make the pressure plate push in enough to change gears, nothings worked. summary" I push the clutch in, cannot change gears, just grinds. Adusted every way but loose still the same. Heavy pedal with no breakover point ." and a summary of the parts. 1965 3 speed manual, 67 v8 release bearing, 67 283 and clutch assembly. Any help would be great. I figure the release bearing is wrong. I should have probably left the 6 cylinder one in. HELP!!!!!
merlin65 is offline   Reply With Quote