The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network

Register or Log In To remove these advertisements.

Go Back   The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network > General Truck Forums > All 4x4 Tech & Off Roading

Web 67-72chevytrucks.com

Prev Previous Post   Next Post Next
Old 12-30-2007, 06:59 AM   #1
azsmokey

72 K-10 LS1 swap

Hello everyone,

I am new to this message board, but in my brief time, have seen a lot of nice vehicles and a lot of passion for the 67-72 truck body style. It is my personal favorite and had always wanted to build one.

It is my good fortune to have a grandfather-in-law that has a 1972 K-10, which he has had since new, who has decided it is time to do a restoration on the truck. I am not familiar with the underpinnings of this model at all and most of my knowledge comes from working on older Chevy small blocks and my late 98 LS1 powered Camaro.

Our plans include the installation of an LS series engine and late model transmission, 4-6 inch lift, new wheels and tires, paint, front and rear diffs, brakes, interior... He really wants to overhaul the truck and I am more than happy to embark on this project with him! I completed a small block swap into an 83 S-10 a few years ago with a motor mount kit and other accessories, but that is the sum total of my experience with swapping engines. This truck already has a small block V-8 underhood and not the V-6, so I believe the swap should be straight forward.

I have spent time researching the swap and have found a number of 2WD swaps but have yet to find an LS series engine and 4L series GM tranny in a 4WD 67-72. If there is anyone out there that has completed the swap into that vehicle type, I would love to pick your brains and hear some of your experiences.

-Are there any major issues with late model LS series engines ad transmissions fitting into that vehicle?
-Any issues with hooking up the transfer case? Should I replace the case with a different unit for ease of the swap/durability?
-He stated he would like to swap in Dana 60's, both front and rear and use disc brakes. Issues there?
-I know there are companies that make motor mount plates for the LS1 swap, but are there any transmission mount issues? Is a new crossmember needed? I am a fairly competent mechanic and have other friends that are good welders/fabricators, additionally there is no time frame for completion so we are going to have fun and take our time.
-Are there any good web sites documenting the swap process with the LS series engine?
-If we keep the existing diffs, is there a company that makes a complete disc brake swap, both front and rear?
-I have a list of other questions, but I will stop for now as this is my first post.

I look forward to hearing from other members about their experiences and look forward to working on this truck! Please share any information that you think would be useful in our situation. I hope you all have a great New Year!
azsmokey is offline   Reply With Quote