The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network

Register or Log In To remove these advertisements.

Go Back   The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network > 47 - Current classic GM Trucks > The 1967 - 1972 Chevrolet & GMC Pickups Message Board

Web 67-72chevytrucks.com

Prev Previous Post   Next Post Next
Old 01-02-2008, 12:42 PM   #28
bhunt31
krazy hillbilly from Kentucky

Re: engine timing dilema

Quote:
Originally Posted by Billla View Post
Making a statement like "pretty good power" suggests that people take this approach without fully understanding what they're doing

Making a decision to do this is part of the overall build process and requires an engine builder that knows what they're doing....
I 100% agree with this statement and realize I shouldn't have gone and put ideas into someone's head that I don't know for sure they know how to degree a cam. I'm just used to having people around me that built engines back when, if you wanted a cam for your engine, you had one ground specifically for that engine, then degreed it in when you got it. Nowadays, there's such a wide variety of cams that's it's pretty much plug and play, that doesn't stop me from getting the dial indicators and degree wheel out to double check things though...I don't like doing things twice, especially when the second time the engine is already in the vehicle. I run all my small blocks at a 107-108 LCA unless it's a 400+cuin engine, then it goes to 105-106 LCA...depending on what kind of engine it is and the duration of the cam.
"Life, Liberty, and Ford's Pursuit of Chevy taillights"
You say "Obsessed with my trucks" like it's a bad thing
bhunt31 is offline   Reply With Quote