The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network

Register or Log In To remove these advertisements.

Go Back   The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network > 47 - Current classic GM Trucks > The 1967 - 1972 Chevrolet & GMC Pickups Message Board

Web 67-72chevytrucks.com

Prev Previous Post   Next Post Next
Old 01-03-2008, 04:40 AM   #1
TXRookie

What to do?? LS2 or Big Block for my project

Well I finally yanked the stock motor and trans out of my 68 C10 a month or so ago. And I'm trying to come up with a plan for the motor and trans. Let me take a second to give you a feel for the overall plan. This truck wont be a daily driver but I would like to drive to work sometimes. I want it to be traffic friendly and be able to drive it from Austin to Houston or were ever I feel necessary. It will be driven on the highway allot, rapped on from stoplight to stop light, and maybe be taken to the track every once and awhile. I'm going to have the truck riding on shockwaves or some type of air ride suspension. I want to be able to lower the truck for a great low stance, but he able to adjust it to make it over the speed bumps at the local Home Depot. The truck will ride on 18's in the front and 19's in the rear. Pretty sure I want to keep and automatic trans in the truck. I think a 4l80E would be cool, because of overdrive. So my problem is the motor. I'm thinking a LS2 would be awesome. I had a LS1 in my 02 Camaro SS and loved it. I'd like to have around 500hp or so. So with a LS2, a few mods like heads and cam, maybe some tuning. I should get that. Or I could just go with a GM Crate Big Block. Since I want the truck to handle great(as good as a 68 can) I figured the lighter weight block would help. Any of you guys have any input on what I should do. I don’t have bottomless pockets but I'm not afraid to spend some cash were it counts. Also, later on down the road I would like to add a supercharger. Just for the pure fun factor, and the fact that I love the smell of burning rubber. Any input would be great. I'm not buying the motor anytime soon, but I'm just not sure which way to go. Then I need to address my stock rear end. This is my first big project and I apologize in advanced for all the newbie questions. By the way, this forum is great. I have learned allot by searching and reading others post. The quality of talent on this forum is incredible.
TXRookie is offline   Reply With Quote