The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network

Register or Log In To remove these advertisements.

Go Back   The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network > 47 - Current classic GM Trucks > The 1967 - 1972 Chevrolet & GMC Pickups Message Board

Web 67-72chevytrucks.com

Prev Previous Post   Next Post Next
Old 01-13-2008, 11:19 AM   #1
Burbinite

HEI making funny sound

Started up the Burb today and it started and idled w/ the electric choke on just fine. As it warmed up and the idle speed lowered, it didn't want to run if I put it in gear (auto). Then if I just let it idle it would die slowly (sputter) then start right back up. After this went on for a few minutes I noticed an eeeeeeeeeeeee sound coming from the HEI/Dist, almost like a balloon letting out air as you pull from each side gently. At first I thought it was a vacuum leak until it went away every time I keyed it off. If I key it on (ACC) only it starts making this sound immediately. Tach shows 3500-4000 rpms at idle w/ choke off (normally 600rpms). If any of you have got a clue I would greatly appreciate your ideas/help.

The HEI has a red cap and a black coil cover on top. It's an all in one unit with no brand markings that I can find (I have not taken it apart yet) I was tempted to take the coil cover off while it was whining at me but me and high voltage have met before and we don't get along real well.