The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network

Register or Log In To remove these advertisements.

Go Back   The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network > 47 - Current classic GM Trucks > The 1960 - 1966 Chevrolet & GMC Pickups Message Board > projects and builds

Web 67-72chevytrucks.com

Prev Previous Post   Next Post Next
Old 01-14-2008, 05:42 PM   #1
PrerunnerRob

Crewcab build

So today is the day that I finally decided to say "screw it", and start on my crew cab build. I've had my white '63 longbed for about a year and a half, have bagged it, built up new crossmembers, and a whole one off front suspension. I had it laying out on the ground, all the way to the rockers, and just was not happy with how the rear end was working. So....I picked up another cab, took some measurements, and here it starts! Should be about 6"-12" longer then the average longbed by the time it is finished, my goal is to have it back together around Sept this year. Enough bs, on to some pictures!
The white '63
Some rot on the lower door edges, rockers, and front fender edges.
When I first got it

Shortly after

After the new front end and crossmembers

This was my breaking point, I was just not happy with the sacrifices made to save the rear factory trailing arms, and it was time for a new rear clip-I just wanted more room back there!

So before getting drivelines, a new 4 link, etc, I decided to look for crewcab pictures. Some very generous people on here posted alot of "factory" crewcab conversions, but #1, people want too much money for these trucks, and #2, I can't take the exposed rear door hinges. So I'm building my own, the way I see that they should be built, with a door to door internal hinge.
As I picked up the parts truck last week

As of today

Later on....

And the front half of the frame, laid out as always!

I'll keep posting as I progress through this build, and next time, I'll bring my real camera to the shop, not my crappy phone.
PrerunnerRob is offline   Reply With Quote