The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network

Register or Log In To remove these advertisements.

Go Back   The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network > 47 - Current classic GM Trucks > The 1973 - 1987 Chevrolet & GMC Squarebody Pickups Message Board

Web 67-72chevytrucks.com

Prev Previous Post   Next Post Next
Old 01-20-2008, 09:32 AM   #1
slash crashley
lucky knuckles

Question tranny options for a 250 inline 6?

hey all. i've got a 1982 chev c10 with a 250 I6. when i picked the truck up it caused me a bunch of grief and all the gears in the tranny got meshed together. i got it "fixed" and it was alright for a few weeks. now it seems like it gets "stuck" in a lower gear. it bucks and chugs and it's hard to get it loose, into another gear or even into neutral. it makes driving it around a stressful endeavor. (so i haven't been driving it since the last episode)

i feel like the whole project is at a stand still. i'm at a fork in the road. i'm half thinking about just getting a modern 350 with tranny combo and go that route. i realize that could get expensive, but i also like the idea having all the modern ammenities like ps, pb, a/c etc.

i did a little research and read that a tranny out of an s10 or mid 80's camaro will work with minimal modifications. any truth to this?

outside of a complete engine swap, what options are available with this problematic tranny?

i always get optimistic when i visit this forum, especially the pics of 73-87shortbeds.

any input or suggestions are appreciated. thanks for your time.
slash crashley is offline   Reply With Quote