The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network

Register or Log In To remove these advertisements.

Go Back   The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network > 47 - Current classic GM Trucks > The 1967 - 1972 Chevrolet & GMC Pickups Message Board

Web 67-72chevytrucks.com

Prev Previous Post   Next Post Next
Old 01-24-2008, 10:47 AM   #1
Longhorn Man
its all about the +6 inches

Thumbs down broken torque converter... WTH???

So the longhorn has been making a noise for a while.
OK, for QUITE a while.
A knocking sound. You know the kind, the kind that makes you hang your head low, gives you a sickening feeling low in your gut... the kind that makes you avoid the freeway at ALL costs...
Yeah, that sound.
So a few months ago, I realized the sound kinda seemed like it was coming from the tranny. The tranny was just rebuilt 14 months ago... I *THINK* it has a 2 year warranty... it's all good. I'll look at it later.
So THEN I see the flex plate is bent.
Hmmmm.... I'll bet that sucker is cracked! So i order me up a flex plate, then go on a trip to get a suburban, and then the Longhorn becomes project back burner... like I could neglect it any more than I already do.
So I pull it into the shop yesterday to swap out the flexplate... shouldn't take too long right? A couple nuts and bolts here, a shaft, and badda bing badda boom it's done. Right?
So When I hit one of the converter bolts with the impact, it zips off... like it is supposed to. But I noticed the flex plate.... flexed.
What the heck?
Then I notice the converter moved a little. No way they are still bolted together.
But... I only unbolted one bolt.
Anyone ever seen this happen before? 2 of the mounting lugs broke off the converter... causing a WHOLE lotta clanging and banging... but mostly... the knocking sound I have been nervouse about for quite a while.

But wait... it gets better!

I had the tranny rebuilt by a semi-local cat... pretty well known guy, does outstanding work. I dig out the papers on it.
hmmm, lets see....
rebuilt november 24th of 06.
Hmmmmm
Waranty.... parts and labor....
one year
DOH!
So i got the tranny in the back of the burb, the burb on salty roads ( :cry: ) and headed over to see the guy tomorow after work. I mentiooned that it's been making the noise for 6 months or so (yeah... I'm THAT lazy/buisy) and he said they MIGHT be able to swap it out for free... but told me to bring 45 bucks just in case.
And the longhorn is sitting.

At least it wasn't the engine knocking huh?
Longhorn Man is offline   Reply With Quote