The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network

Register or Log In To remove these advertisements.

Go Back   The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network > General Truck Forums > All 4x4 Tech & Off Roading

Web 67-72chevytrucks.com

Prev Previous Post   Next Post Next
Old 01-25-2008, 12:16 PM   #1
shelby987

Eaton rear.....obsolete Junk!

This is what 4-wheel offroad magazine has chalked the eaton rear upto.....it was classified as a GM 10 bolt....the predecessor to the 14 bolt, I believe they said, "not worth it due to part availablity, and limited gear selection".....is it really a problem that you can only get these in 4.10, 4.56, and 5.13 gears?!?!?!
It is funny, because I remember reading last year in the same magazine that this was a 'junk yard score' because you could get them with lockers, and they came in desirable 'rock-crawler' gear ratios, oh yeah, and they were plentiful.......I believe they recommended them for jeeps because you could swing the third member 180 degrees for an offset rear, and you could also flip the axle housing 180 degrees.....oh yeah, and the added ground clearance....I will have to see if I can find the magazine....now I am pi$$ed!

Ugh......if parts availability, ease of modifications, and swap-ability were all anyone cared about......wouldn't we all be running an SBC, backed by a TH400/205 combo with 1 ton danas under our trucks! (not that there is anything wrong with this combo.....but why does being different have to label your parts as JUNK!)....I like eatons, I like I6's, Big Block V6's, SBC's, BBC's, manuals, automatics, danas, column shifters, bench seats, drum brakes, carbs, fuel injection, manual steering, and rusty old trucks!

Rant off!
1993 Olds. Cutlass Ciera Wagon Traded 2006
2003 Saturn L200 w/5pd. D/D
My list spans 5 decades with One common thread.....GM!
shelby987 is offline   Reply With Quote