The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network

Register or Log In To remove these advertisements.

Go Back   The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network > 47 - Current classic GM Trucks > The 1967 - 1972 Chevrolet & GMC Pickups Message Board > 67-72 Chevrolet & GMC Pickups Projects and Builds

Web 67-72chevytrucks.com

Prev Previous Post   Next Post Next
Old 02-04-2008, 12:51 AM   #1
Rokcrln

LFD's Tailgate Handle relocation HOW-TO!

LFD's Tailgate Handle Relocation How-To
by Lewis Fabrication Design Inc.

First things first you need to buy your kit. I belive the one I used is produced by Mar-K but I buy all my stuff thru ECE, I have been dealing with these guys since I got into this hobby and will keep doing so. They have great customer service and everyone who works their is as insane as we are about these trucks (blazers and burbs). Other companys may make kits like this but I have not checked any others out so if you go with a different brand things may be different then what I will show. I feel the quality of this kit is outstanding for the price that you pay. I think it was about $80 or so.

Once you get your kit you can start by removing yout gate and set it up on two saw horses or a table. You can leave it on the truck but I found it was easier to do the handle patch with the gate on the flat. Start by removing the handle, latches and rods. I had 1 handle screw come right out and two that were stripped. One trick to get them out is to take a cut off wheel and cut a slot in the head of the screw and use a big Standard screw driver. That worked great on one of the two and the other one I just had to cut the head off to get it out. A third way to go if you ever can not get a bolt or large screw out is to weld a bolt to the head of the screw then use a wrench to try and get it out. The heat from welding it (causes expantion and contraction) will alot of times cause the bolt to loosen up and should come right out.

Kevin
LFD Inc.
Attached Images

Last edited by Rokcrln; 02-04-2008 at 02:11 AM.
Rokcrln is offline   Reply With Quote