The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network

Register or Log In To remove these advertisements.

Go Back   The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network > 47 - Current classic GM Trucks > The 1967 - 1972 Chevrolet & GMC Pickups Message Board

Web 67-72chevytrucks.com

Prev Previous Post   Next Post Next
Old 02-12-2008, 10:53 AM   #1
tcb-1
Nothing to see here.....

Wasn't so bad.......

So I posted a few days back about flaring my own brake lines. Couldn't figure it out for the life of me.

Backstory. I installed a McGaughy's disc brake/drop spindle kit, a disc brake master cylinder, and a CPP disc brake proportioning valve. Everything turned out nice and fit like a glove........ except the brake lines from the frame up to the prop valve. I attempted to "rebend" the existing drum lines to no avail. I am the world's worst obsessive compulsive and to me, the lines came out looking like crap.

Sooooo borrowied a co-worker's 45 degree double flare tool. It was a cheapo tool, but thought I could do it. No freaking way. The bevel wasn't clean and it always crushed to one side or the other. And I wasn't going to trust my safety to improperly flared lines, so I was stuck. Can't get it to a brake shop because I had no brakes!!!!! So there I was.

So I bit the bullet and bought a KD flare kit from NAPA, several adapter fittings, and some steel line. Buying the more expensive tool sometimes does make a world of difference! The KD flaring tool worked like a charm. I was able to bend the lines like I wanted, flare them perfectly, and satisfy my OCD!!!

Lessons learned this weekend:
1. Buy good (sometimes the most expensive) tools and things go much better.
2. Never underestimate your own abilities.
3. Practice makes perfect.
4. Being a perfectionist can cost you more money that you originally wanted to spend!!

Results:

Thanks for allowing my rant!!!

THANK YOU to our American Soldiers & Veterans - POW MIA "You will NEVER be forgotten".

The democracy will cease to exist when you take away from those who are willing to work and give to those who would not. Thomas Jefferson
tcb-1 is offline   Reply With Quote