The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network

Register or Log In To remove these advertisements.

Go Back   The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network > 47 - Current classic GM Trucks > The 1967 - 1972 Chevrolet & GMC Pickups Message Board

Web 67-72chevytrucks.com

Prev Previous Post   Next Post Next
Old 01-18-2003, 07:17 PM   #1
ChevLoRay
Old Skool Club

Styling Question

I was looking at a magazine that featured the designer of the '67 trucks at GM. One of the illustrations looked like the truck cab roof was covered in black vinyl. I know that the late 60's and early-mid 70's had a rash of styling trends, one of which was vinyl tops as aftermarket items. This led me to wonder if anyone has ever had, or has seen, or has a picture of a '67-72 with a vinyl top?

In my opinion, to be period-correct, it would have to have two seams to have the "correct" appearance of a factory vinyl top. I also think it should have the chrome trim on the rain gutter, as well as the chrome trim found below the rear window on two-tone truck cabs.

So, what do you think and has anyone see one, or have a picture of one?

I kinda thought (briefly) about going back to black on my truck (original color), then adding a vinyl top (with the afore-mentioned chrome trim) and maybe even using '68 side trim on the body (I like it better than the upper/lower trim on the '69-72's. If you add chrome front/rear bumpers, a '71-72 outer grille, then use a nice billet insert with the parking lights hidden behind the grille....well, you now have my interpretation of a "classy" classic. I would also use a flip kit to reverse the handle on the tailgate, and add the bright trim on the tailgate, but use the lower trim piece in both places on the tailgate. Relocating the gas tank and using a late '70's van gas filler door would finish the clean-up of the body. A set of 17-inch Colorado Custom Slater-6 wheels would add the sparkle needed to finish it off. Since my truck is already lowered and has a disc brake conversion, I would think it wouldn't look too shabby....if, and only if, it was done.

'96 GMC Sportside; 4.3/SLT - Daily driven....constantly needs washed.

'69 C-10 SWB; 350/TH400 - in limbo

The older I get, the better I was.
ChevLoRay is offline   Reply With Quote