The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network

Register or Log In To remove these advertisements.

Go Back   The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network > 47 - Current classic GM Trucks > The 1947 - 1959 Chevrolet & GMC Pickups Message Board

Web 67-72chevytrucks.com

Prev Previous Post   Next Post Next
Old 02-27-2008, 10:19 AM   #1
bambbrose

New here, dad's 55.1 project and hoping to find a 55-59 of my own

Hi guys!

Great website you have here.

My dad and I finished this 55 1st series GMC 5 window about 3 years ago. It came out great but he's all about keeping it original or close to it. I've wanted to build a street truck of my own for a long time now, so I decided it's time to find my own project. It was originally my grandpas truck way back in the day, and I'm certain it'll be passed along the generations for years to come.

My main goals for my own truck build are daily drivability, decent gas mileage, and a great handling ride. What good is a truck if you can't drive it around right?

I have a fear of carbs (opposite of most of the older guys it seems), so the current dream plans involve a newer genIII 4.8 or 5.3 swap, whichever I can find cheaper. The gas mileage is the main reason I want to go with something newer, plus I won't have to rebuild it. I'll be going with IFS up front, but not sure what type yet (still a lot of research left in that department). I'm also liking the idea of the late model S10 rear end with discs. Still have a lot of learning to do with these old trucks.

Being part of the younger generation I've also built a few modern cars. My latest one is this 92 honda (not all honda owners are ricers ). It ran a 14.2 at 5200ft elevation all motor 1.8l and still got 34mpg. They are fun and mostly CHEAP, but my true love will always be classic trucks, just couldn't afford to build one until now.

Anyway just wanted to say hello and introduce myself. I'll update this post when I find a good truck to start with (maybe even make a new project thread). I've been researching them for a few years now while I went to school, but now I finally decided to buy something. Hopefully in the next 4 months I'll find what I need so I can have something to work on during the summer nights. I was going to build an AD originally but the more I looked around for ideas the more and more I decided that I like the taskforce style.

I'll keep you guys updated on my search, and maybe even ask a few questions as they pop up. Until then I'll keep on reading away and learning from you guys. Thanks for the great resource!
bambbrose is offline   Reply With Quote