The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network

Register or Log In To remove these advertisements.

Go Back   The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network > Welcome and Discussion > General Discussion

Web 67-72chevytrucks.com

Prev Previous Post   Next Post Next
Old 02-27-2008, 11:07 AM   #1
Dingfodgy
Lemme show you something!!

How Much Longer?

Let me start off by saying- "I love cars". Ever since I was a kid I had this unnatural affection for internal combustion art. You name it- Hot Rods, Muscle Cars, Cruisers, Sport Sedans, Classic Trucks, Imports, Domestics, piles of crap and $100,000 trailer queens. If it has a motor and rolls- I can find something to like about it.........even in a F#@D! I look back at my first car (1968 Buick GS....wish I had that one back!) and the various VW's, Beemers, Audi's, Toyotas, Fords, Chevy's, I've owned and tweeked since and never was I hesitant to drive them due to the financial burden of doing so. However, as the price of gasoline continues to rise, I find myself wondering how long can we continue to enjoy this hobby, this religion, this never-ending quest for personal perfection we call the classic car / truck resto-rod-ification? Don't get me wrong I enjoy (generally) every moment I get out in the shop wrenchin' on the ole '67 and I am even in the market for another project along the lines of a 60-62 Impala / LeSabre / Bonneville, but at what point is what we're doing going to more about historical preservation rather than actual driving and enjoying the fruits of our labors? I'm seriously looking into an E85 conversion for the SBC, but also feel kinda like I'm betraying the purity of the breed.
How do the rest of ya'll feel? Has the rising price and uncertain supply of good old gasoline changed your plans or tempered your enthusiasm lately? Where do we go from here? Would an E85, CNG or Fuel-Cell powered classic be true to the art?
'95 BMW 325i ("Joy")
Dingfodgy is offline   Reply With Quote