The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network

Register or Log In To remove these advertisements.

Go Back   The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network > 47 - Current classic GM Trucks > The 1967 - 1972 Chevrolet & GMC Pickups Message Board

Web 67-72chevytrucks.com

Prev Previous Post   Next Post Next
Old 03-04-2008, 06:09 AM   #1
tcb-1
Nothing to see here.....

A Few New Pics and a Question

We here in the midwest have been spoiled lately. The last few days were in the low 70's, but alas, we have a chance for snow tomorrow. No wonder everyone I know is sick.....

Anyway, I finally wrapped up my misc. truck projects which started in November. A 10 month old happily kept me from doing anything on the truck for more than an hour!

So the truck rolled into the garage in November, the battery was taken out, then I hadn't made an attempt to start it since then. Oh, I didn't put Stabil in it either. Okay, I know that was a stupid move, but my garage stays above 60 in the winter so I thought I was okay.

So back to the story. I rolled it out into the drive today and attempted to start it. Cranked, but no fire. Getting spark, affirmative. Getting air, affirmative. Getting fuel, uh oh. I have an inline filter about 10" downline of the carb. Removed it. Carb side was clean, as to be expected. Tank/pump side was disgusting. Rusty gas. Not good. Cleaned out the filter, but even blowing through it was hard. I cleaned everything up and reassemble. Cranked again to no avail. Took the filter off again and it looked the same as the first time, rusty on the tank/pump side. (Carb was fairly dry through this entire process.)

Soooooo looks like I have some bad gas and it's rusty. Looks like I'm going to have to siphon the remaining gas out of the tank.

Here's the question: What would be an easy way to clean the line fuel line from the tank to the pump?? Can the pump be adversely affected by rusty gas? Finally, could I siphon most of the fuel out, remove the fuel line ahead of the pump, put in some fuel line cleaner, and use a LITTLE compressed air to force the gunk through the line. I know compressed air into a tank is a no no, but a little while venting can be done safely, right??

Thanks for any input gang....... Now for some pics I took today........

THANK YOU to our American Soldiers & Veterans - POW MIA "You will NEVER be forgotten".

The democracy will cease to exist when you take away from those who are willing to work and give to those who would not. Thomas Jefferson

Last edited by tcb-1; 03-04-2008 at 06:12 AM.
tcb-1 is offline   Reply With Quote