The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network

Register or Log In To remove these advertisements.

Go Back   The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network > General Truck Forums > Suspension

Web 67-72chevytrucks.com

Prev Previous Post   Next Post Next
Old 03-18-2008, 11:49 PM   #1
shifty
Questionable

Question brake lines question

Got brake line questions, lots of them, and I really appreciate any solid answers. I'm a little lost for my hybrid setup and worried I'm going to buy a lot of extra crap I can't use. I'd like to (for once) get something right the first time on my truck.

So, long story short, I finished bolting my '77 crossmember into my truck this weekend, shaving unnecessary holes up front, drilling the new one , and 'wallering' out the one hole that needed it. I also got my rear axle separated from my trailing arms using a cuttoff wheel so I can get it cleaned up and ship off the trailing arms.

Now, when I put this back together in the next couple of weeks (hopefully), I have one big question mark about the brake lines - all of mine are shot and I guess I gotta start from scratch.

I have a '68 pickup with a '77 front crossmember and I am upgrading to discs in the front ('73-87 drop spindles), and keeping my stock '68 drums in the rear.

Now I need to sit down and figure out what all I need to order, and would love some help.

The long line to the rear - it's a single line which starts at a bulkhead near the passenger front shock mount on my truck, and it goes back to meet a soft line at the rear shock mount crossmember. Regarding the long line and rear axle line:

1) Are there any differences between the long line in a 67-70 pickup versus the 71-72 pickup versus the 73-87 pickup?

2) For the soft line that connects the long rear line to the "T" on the axle housing...is it the same on all three of those year ranges? Any suggestions on a good upgrade hose to use, or just stick with the stock line?

3) The rear 71-87 axle is wider. I guess this means I should just order a new "T" and a new rear line, or is there a better option?

Regarding the front lines...the '77 crossmember doesn't have the soft-line provisions on the rear driver and passenger side of the crossmember, but the two "M" clamp provision holes to hold the hard brake lines to the back side of the crossmember are there. Regarding the front lines...

4) It looks like the calipers may actually require routing the soft line across the front of the crossmember. would it be easier just to cut the soft line provisions off the '68 crossmember and weld them onto the '77 in the same spot, and just use the '68 front brake lines (for a complete '68 brake line setup)? Got any other thoughts, opinions suggestions?

5) Are the front soft lines the same in a 67-70 pickup versus the 71-72 pickup versus the 73-87 pickup?

6) With extreme drops like mine (bagged/ART arms), will I need to get longer rubber brake lines to handle the articulation involved with my bagged setup? If so, suggestions are appreciated.

7) While I want to get the stainless lines from Inline Tube, it's almost $200 just for the long line to the rear. I can't afford this much for a brake line right now. If I'm buying regular steel lines, what should I do to treat the outside to keep it from rusting? The PO of my truck just painted my current lines, but seriously - it just flakes off left and right if the line gets bent in the slightest bit.

8) Finally - last question about brakes - with me running 73-87 drop spindles in the front, do I need to get different dust shields to mount to the spindle?

Any and all help is appreciated.

I can't check the forum daily. If I don't reply to you within 24 hours, drop me a PM! I'm (hopefully) still alive and will reply faster to a PM.
shifty is offline   Reply With Quote