The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network

Register or Log In To remove these advertisements.

Go Back   The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network > 47 - Current classic GM Trucks > The 1967 - 1972 Chevrolet & GMC Pickups Message Board

Web 67-72chevytrucks.com

Prev Previous Post   Next Post Next
Old 03-25-2008, 06:54 AM   #1
Highsteel
Chasin' the Dream

Lightbulb Tail Gate Mods

Without a doubt the most annoying and obnoxious sound that my truck makes is the sound of my tailgate being let down. The old girls age really shows through there.

I've seen a LOT of very nice truck pics(does that even sound right?)here, but not one detail of anything anyone has done to address this area. My first 72 was the same way. Its got to be the ultimate imitation of a Train Wreck!

Before mine gets painted I want to shave the handle, update the catch, and install cables. I also have an "idea" for some cargo lights.

I saw a power gate on one of those Sunday hot rod shows on TV this winter. It was activated the same way as locks from your key chain. I don't know about you, but I think thats cool.

One other thing I was pondering is if anyone makes a strut that would take some of the weight off of the gate as it was being opened and shut. This would be my second choice.

A better bottom hinge is one of my "must do's". Surely there is one off a later model that is a little better engineered. The truck in my dreams has hydraulically operated pins for push button gate removal.

As a temporary fix(for my bottom hinge)I rubber coated the inner sleeve and cleaned up the outer sleeve with some Emory cloth. This made the fit somewhat tighter. I also give the upper hinge a light shot of WD 40 as I couldn't think of anything better to use at the moment. For now the gate works way better but I'm not sure how long the rubber coating will last.

That wasn't the 2/2 drop that I had planned for the week-end, but the truck ended the week-end just a little bit better than it started it.

Happy Easter
Peace
Out
Highsteel is offline   Reply With Quote